Sunday 18 December 2011

Big Competition

If you have Google Earth on our computer, you have probably seen some of the 3D model buildings set in their real location in the world. One of my hobbies is making these models. Most of mine are fairly close to where I live in Herefordshire. I've done models of Stonehenge and 22 old churches in the county, but my biggest project has been modelling the buildings in the commercial centre of Leominster. Right now there are about 70 finished model buildings done. Between now and the end of January, I plan to add about ten to 20 more to the collection. Some of the new ones are already done but not yet uploaded and others have to be done from scratch. (To have a look at progress so far, Open Google Earth and make sure that the 3D Buildings Layer is checked in the list on the lower left of the screen. Leominster is located 15 miles North of Hereford and about 30 miles West of Worcester in the north central part of Herefordshire. Once there, zoom in on the town and explore.)

For the second year, Google is sponsoring a competition called Model Your Town. It’s open to modellers all over the world; the guy who won last year modelled a neighbourhood in Lima, Peru. This year I’m planning to enter my Leominster models in the contest. The winner gets a lot of publicity for their town, but the big deal is a $25,000 prize for a local school chosen by the winner.

The competition closes on 1 March 2012 and Google will announce five finalists shortly after. The final winner will be chosen from the five finalists by a public vote. I’ll naturally try to generate a lot of local interest and I’ll also shamelessly solicit votes through this blog if I get into the finalists.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment